Thursday, October 02, 2008

John Taylor Gatto interview

This is a fascinating interview to read. Click here.

I agree with so much of what he says. I'm curious what others' reactions are.

I haven't read any of his books yet, and think they might well be worth it after this interesting interview. I identify with him, having spent some time in the education system and come away feeling like it was broken and the solution for my family was outside the system.

Even as I do not think public school is the best place for my kids, I recognize that others' circumstances are different and have different solutions. Variety is the spice of life right? :)

When my own kids are grown, reform in the schools (mathematics centered) is something I am pretty sure I will be pursuing. The flaw that is becoming more difficult for me as a "math teacher" though is that the arbitrary divide of subjects. I think math subjects, like arithmetic, algebra and geometry are best taught and experienced through other subjects like gardening, crafting, music, visual arts, science, computers, cooking, games, letterboxing, etc. Not in the "let's do word problems" style as much as what happens living real life and pursuing interests.

And again, I think the best thing for kids is playing. I know I still learn through play though my play is much more structured than my kids now. But that doesn't make my play better than theirs. So my kids are not taking structured classes, especially while they are young. I am exposing them to new ideas, new surroundings, new experiences. I am making sure there are rich opportunities for play and discovery and exploration. I am being an example by learning all the time myself.

2 comments:

Christa, Queen of the Blog said...

Here here! ;-)

Libby said...

I think I've read something of his. Can't remember, but I definitely know the name. I love to hear about your homeschooling. Someday, when my life isn't quite so crazy, I'm going to start with my kids.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin