Monday, July 14, 2008

Dog training class with kids

Today was a nice relaxing day at home. We had yummy blueberries in our oatmeal for breakfast and watched the blueberry episode of Good Eats, making plans for what to cook for Dad's return tomorrow. Blueberry buckle, blueberry pie, blueberry train cake...so many options, so much fun!

Monday evenings are usually when I take Sarge to training class and the kids stay home and play with Dad. But with no Dad and no sitter, they came to class with me today! The class is later in the evening and Trainboy was quite tired afterward and immediately fell asleep when we got back in the truck. Class went pretty well, Sarge is in the advanced class at Petsmart. We are working on distance and distractions in class and I brought 2 excellent distractions (my boys!) for all the dogs with me tonight! The teacher/trainer is awesome and worked with the boys to include them as helpful distractions as we practiced our commands with the dogs in various situations. It was rather hectic and I'm glad that they don't usually come with me because it was a lot harder to focus on working with Sarge when my kids were running everywhere, but the trainer pointed out Sarge needed to learn around the kids anyway since they are his "distractions" at home. (Oops, I've been working with him only away from the kids!)

At the end of this series of classes, Sarge & I will take the tests for the Canine Good Citizen and Therapy Dog certificates. Dog training classes have been super helpful to me with Sarge, who is a loving, wonderfully sweet dog with lots of energy. I found that I couldn't learn everything I needed to about training a dog from the books I got at the library when we first got Sarge and I'm so glad he came with the "free" beginner training class from his previous owners because I don't think I ever would have gone to a class otherwise because I like to be independent and capable of doing things on my own. He was a big handful when we got him and being able to talk to the trainer every week and get advice and help as I learned to handle my dog has been awesome. I recommend it to everyone!

Anyway, the therapy dog certificate will mean Sarge is capable of going to hospitals and nursing homes for service and I think having a purpose in his life beyond being a family pet will be good for him. I also think it will be a great way to give service with the kids. Can you see us? 2 young boys, a mom & a dog visiting nursing homes to bring cheer to older folks? That's my dream.

9 comments:

rob said...

You know what they say, dream big or go home....wait that doesnt sound quite right ;)

The Kane Family said...

Kids are a great dog distraction. Glad he is doing well with his classes, how cool to have him certified!

Roni said...

I'm glad the classes are going so well for both you and Sarge. He is such a super dog! We really loved playing with him that day at the park.

Mel said...

I think this is awesome! What a great way for you guys to give back to the community as a family and exciting learning for all involved.

mariann said...

When Makayla was in the hospital with her heart surgery they had a golden lab come in on one of the days. It really cheered her up and I have a soft spot in my heart for service dogs! They really do help! Way to go!

Chrispy said...

what a fantastic journey with Sarge! Very cool.

Chrispy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EC said...

This sounds awesome! I can totally see the picture you drew for us. What a wonderful thing to hope for.

Sarah said...

That is so cool that the instructor was able to incorporate the boys into the class! That is a very cool dream. You've got me to thinkin'... :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin