Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Angelina Eberle

Did you know that Sam Houston sent armed forces to forcibly move the capitol to Houston during the Texas war with Mexico? Angelina Eberle impulsively lit a cannon and blew a hole in a building, rousing Austinites to fight them off and keep the capitol in Austin. If she hadn't it might not be the town it is today.

We had a very quick trip to Austin last week and did a bit of letterboxing as a break from driving all day back and forth. I have come to enjoy letterboxing because it provides history, interesting stories, free collectibles, tourism help and a secret treasure hunt that is enjoyed by my kids.

Munchkin wasn't happy to have to put the letterbox back though. She thought it was her new treasure box.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

M - I haven't been to your blog in ages. So sorry.

I do love the story behind the statue. I love history - and that's awesome your kids got to see it all.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin