Friday, June 27, 2008

Heading Home


All too soon it was time to head home. We loaded up the truck and started our 2 day journey home.









I love awesome rest areas with playgrounds, nature preserves and educational materials! We always stop at this one in Illinois. It's just south of Bloomington on I-55.




Here's the St Louis Arch through the truck window. Traffic always slows down on the bridge over the Mississippi river, so I had plenty of time to snap a picture of this great landmark. Dinoguy thought the name "big muddy" for the river was hilarious.




On day 2 of our trip we stopped at a cemetery where a great great grandma's grave is supposed to be, but while she is in the cemetery files, there is no indication of where in the cemetery of 12,000 graves hers is located. We looked for a while, but were not successful.

When we were about 15 minutes from home, the truck turned off. Oops! I had not been watching the gas gauge and we were out! I rolled off the highway, hoping we were near a gas station. No such luck. We parked in a cemetery parking lot and luckily there were still some people inside the nearby funeral home and one called her husband who came quickly with a gas can and followed me to the nearest gas station. Thank goodness for good Samaritans! The nearest gas station was 3 miles more down or up the road so we would have been sitting there waiting for a while for someone to come rescue me otherwise.

After a long adventure on the road, its nice to be back home. It was great to see Fixitman and Sarge again after 2 weeks. The boys have been playing with their toys with renewed enthusiasm it seems, as they haven't been seen in a while. Life is good.

6 comments:

mariann said...

I love looking at the pictures of back east! They are so green! Its hard to look at that and not be envious of their weather when we are dry as a bone and HOT!

The Kane Family said...

What a great time! You were missed by more then your hubby and puppy, can't wait to see you!!

EC said...

Hey! I had to move my family blog because my MIL was stalking me and making my life miserable.

Come see me at www.eviecurley.wordpress.com

Sarah, Chris, Elijah & Sadie said...

I LOVE the name, "Big Muddy"! Tell that boy that I think it's hysterical too.

Roni said...

It looks like you guys had a full and fun visit. I'm glad you had such a good time. I am even more glad that you are home! :-) We missed you!!

And, aside from the running-out-of-gas adventure, it looks like you had a pretty fun ride home. Awesome!

WELCOME HOME!! Texas missed you!

Rachael said...

I'm so glad you were okay with the gas problem. That could have been very, very bad. Yes - thank goodness for good Samaritans.

That's awesome you got to see the St. Louis arch - love that piece of artwork. Never seen it yet - but I think if I drove over that bridge I'd have to have someone else drive because I'd have a hard time keeping my eyes on the road :)

Oh - and the cemetary - I've run into so many problems like that in my own research. Good luck on finding the spot. I've found immediate prayer will actually get you a positive tombstone occasionally :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin