Friday, December 06, 2013

FHE Lesson - Avoiding Bondage

Our next FHE lesson, it was my turn to be teacher again. I have been struggling to read the book of Jeremiah in the Bible recently and so I was drawn toward the talk by Quentin L Cook who expounds on some of the messages of Jeremiah and what we can learn and apply in our own lives. His talk was called Lamentations of Jeremiah: Beware of Bondage
My notes as I prepared

I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading this talk and then looking up all the footnotes. I also opened up my old Old Testament Student Manual and started really trying to understand Jeremiah better. It became quite interesting and I had to tear myself away and work on my lesson plan instead of just studying more.

Perhaps because my kids have recently been watching a Flintstones version of A Christmas Carol, but the idea of bondage immediately made me think of Jacob Marley in chains. I started thinking of other images that might help my kids understand the concept of things that can hold us in bondage and put together a series of pictures on my iPad to use at the beginning of the lesson. I had a picture of Jacob Marley, a guy in jail, a person smoking, a person buying lots of stuff with a credit card, people playing video games and someone using a social media site. I asked them what these people might all have in common.

Then I used a heavy rope and some small free weights to create some bonds like Jacob Marley's for one of my kids. I added a small weight to the rope describing an addiction or bondage they might have happen in their lives. Trainboy was my helper for this and he was a good sport, holding the weights and rope up. I thought this would be a good visual for the kids.

Next I had several quotes for reading and discussing, knowing that Little Guy would love handing those out to people to read. I probably had too many but there were so many great quotes in the talk!

Turning from the worship of the true and living God and worshipping false gods like wealth and fame and engaging in immoral and unrighteous conduct result in bondage in all its insidious manifestations.

Bondage, subjugation, addictions, and servitude come in many forms. They can be literal physical enslavement but can also be loss or impairment of moral agency that can impede our progress.


God intended that men and women would be free to make choices between good and evil.


Substituting the philosophies of men for gospel truth can lead us away from the simplicity of the Savior’s message. 


 Our primary emphasis, however, should always be to make any necessary sacrifices to protect our own family and the rising generation.

 Our challenge is to avoid bondage of any kind, help the Lord gather His elect, and sacrifice for the rising generation 

 We must always remember that we do not save ourselves. We are liberated by the love, grace, and atoning sacrifice of the Savior. 

 Lastly because I really liked the comparison and discussion of Jeremiah and Lehi, who were prophets in Jerusalem in the same period but had very different missions, I had some pictures of Lehi and the Liahona to go along with the last quote about following the light and keeping the commandments like Lehi's family followed the Liahona and I found a great connect the dots picture of the Liahona to use with the kids at the end of the lesson.

When Lehi’s family fled, they were led by the Lord’s light. If we are true to His light, follow His commandments, and rely on His merits, we will avoid spiritual, physical, and intellectual bondage as well as the lamentation of wandering in our own wilderness, for He is mighty to save.

My mom was here visiting because of our new baby when we had this lesson and she gave me a low five afterward, hopefully because she liked the lesson, not just because it was over! I am not sure I did a good job at focusing on one message only for the kids but I tried. I feel like I learned a lot about Jeremiah and how to liken his difficult messages to our life today and I hope I shared some interesting ideas with my family about avoiding bondage.
Grandma put new baby boy to sleep quickly. He was out!

We had mini cupcakes for dessert and played a quick game of Set for our activity before bed. Set is a great family game, Little Guy yelled "Set!" every two seconds the whole game. He also likes to hold any sets I found. Princess almost has the concept of what makes a set figured out and really tried. Fixitman handed her any sets he found while the older two easily find sets on their own at this point, often before I see them.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin