Thursday, February 03, 2011

Our first Pinewood Derby

Dinoguy has been excited about the pinewood derby since last year when a friend was making his car. He couldn't wait for his turn this year. He designed the car, did some sanding and helped paint it. Fixitman cut it out twice (after accidentally breaking the first one). Fixitman also spent a ton of time doing things to the wheels and axles. It was amusing to tease him about it.

And right before the pinewood derby, I was asked to become the den leader! So now I get even more learning experiences about cub scouts! It has been fun so far.

My impression of the pinewood derby overall: It was really long. Over three hours. Why each car had to race more than ten times is beyond me. I was very tired by the end of it. Baby slept almost the whole time, Princess ate a lot of sugar, and both Trainboy and Dinoguy had a blast cheering on the cars.



Dinoguy did get a medal for fastest in the wolf den and a certificate for "fastest looking" car. His car was a tenth of an ounce lighter than allowed and we think that is why it was fourth fastest instead of overall fastest.Or maybe because Dinoguy dropped it right as we were heading there. Apparently the balance on the axles is very delicate and the weight is very important. He had a great time and now I know more than I had ever even thought possible to know about making tiny wooden race cars.

1 comment:

BrentnEm said...

How fun, I'm a den leader too so I'm also learning a lot about cub scouts that I never knew. We just had our Pinewood Derby last week it was fun but also very long, I think it will be more enjoyable to watch once Jax is old enough to be in cub scouts and has a car to race. It is pretty funny how into it the boys and dads get.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin