Sunday, April 27, 2014

Baby Blessing (February 2014)

Welcome to the family sweet baby!
Our new sweet baby was given a name and a blessing at our church in February. It was a long busy wonderful weekend. My dad flew in for the weekend and the kids loved playing with their grandpa. Many games of Uno were played and time was spent playing catch and eating delicious Texas BBQ as well.
Playing catch with Grandpa
  Then on Sunday morning early I drove about 1.5 hours away to pick up Fixitman's niece who is serving her mission there! She was given permission to come up and join us for the day which was really neat. She also got permission to hold her new cousin!
Our niece and her newest cousin!
  Missionaries usually serve in pairs and stay with their companions all the time. Instead of her companion coming with her though, a girl who was preparing for a mission and lived in their area served as her companion for the day while I served as a companion with our niece for the day. It was 1.5 hours each way so I drove for 6 hours that Sunday so she could join us and make it back to her mission service that evening. Gratefully Baby is a good car traveler and as long as he was fed regularly did not cry. My dad also helped me with the driving in the evening when I was really tired.

Blessing day
This is my fourth son and they have now all worn the same beautiful blessing outfit that my mom made back when Dinoguy was born. What made it extra special is my sister's son has also worn the outfit now and I have now sent it on to my other sister for the upcoming blessing of her new son. It's becoming a family heirloom! Baby was almost 3 months old when we blessed him and the outfit still fit but was definitely tighter than it has been on any of the other kids! We had tried to schedule a weekend when more of Fixitman's family could attend but things didn't work out, so that just made it more special to have my dad and our missionary niece there.

My sweet fifth baby
 Baby blessings aren't required ordinances, but serve as an official naming ceremony of the baby and putting them on church record as part of our family. They are also a great chance to give the new child a father's blessing and welcome them into our family with a small celebration. We celebrated by making good food - my husband's special macaroni salad and delicious sandwiches made for a relaxed but delicious Sunday afternoon supper after church.

Cousins!
 Our sweet new baby boy is named after a recently deceased uncle of Fixtman. His name has personal meaning from our genealogy on both sides of the family. All of my kids hold names from our family genealogy because I want them to remember their ancestors who came before them and gave them a legacy of faith and love. They also provide examples of good people who lived good lives as examples for my kids. So Fixitman and I put a lot of thought into the names we give our kids. We want their names to be someone from family history, someone who was a good person, a name we like the sound of and works with our last name, and when the baby is born that fits their personality. We had a different name in mind as a likely name before this sweet baby was born that did NOT fit him at all and we spent some good time choosing another name and seeing if it seemed to really fit him before settling on his name.
Baby and Grandpa
 I now wish we'd tried for a family photo with all of the kids but I didn't think of it at the time. People sometimes aren't keen on all my picture taking plans and I'm just happy for the pictures I have. Ah well. He's sure a cutie. We love him bunches and are so glad he is part of our family now!
Love him.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin