Saturday, January 01, 2011

2011: Diligence

April 2010
My word for 2011 is diligence. It just keeps popping out of texts to me and when I pondered on it, I knew it should be my word for the year.

By definition, diligence is characterized by a steady, energetic and earnest effort. Diligence involves dedication and dedication involves devotion. Devotion is a form of love. So diligence shows love.

So I want to be more diligent in all my roles and responsibilities. I want diligence to become a character trait of mine. I want to understand diligence more because I have practiced it more.

So this year, I am seeking and striving for diligence. I am memorizing the phrase "steady energetic earnest effort equals diligence".

In the scriptures there are many examples of diligence. 3 Nephi 6:14, Alma 7:33. Here is a talk that discusses diligence in keeping the commandments.

I also found this lovely poem: Click here to visit VoicesNet.com to read the poem called "Diligence Delivers Excellence" by Fenny Fenibo West, Nigeria

I have also learned that diligence is one of the seven heavenly virtues in Catholicism. This description on wikipedia of diligence is good.

I hope to learn much about myself and being diligent this year.

What is your word for 2011?

4 comments:

Chrispy said...

I love that you have a word-of-the-year! I think I might just borrow yours because I like it so much, on so many levels. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about diligence!

Trish said...

Funny, diligent is a word I would already have used to describe you. I'm interested to see how your interpretation of diligence moves in your life this year.

Stephanie said...

Diligence is a good one. Like forthrightness. :)

I love that you look forward to getting to know intimately what a word means. Like instead of a focus, it's something you Become. Love that.

Miranda said...

Diligence is something I've been working on without realizing it lately. And it is something I think you are good at already, but if there were no room for improvement you would have been twinkled already! Thanks for sharing those links, I really enjoyed the talk by Elder Scott :D

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin