Saturday, March 01, 2008

Gentle is as gentle does

What does a gentle person do? They keep their mouth shut when people say inflammatory things. They smile politely and think friendly thoughts. They drive courteously. They forgive. They have plenty of patience. They use a soft voice.

That's not me I'm talking about, but it can be how I try to be, how I try to think of myself. The gentle thoughts tell me that meeting basic needs of sleep, food, exercise, spirituality, socializing, cleanliness are what my focus should be. They tell me to find inner peace, to feel balanced and quiet, so I can hear and listen to the promptings from my inner self, that is trying to help me be who I really am.

I've sat down a few times in park outings when I am starting to feel unraveled and closed my eyes and breathed and emptied out the negative thoughts and searched for calm and happy thoughts to replace them. Even if I only partially succeed, it really helps. I don't know why it is easier to do at a park than at home, but it is. I have a hard time sitting still at home sometimes, after I get going in the morning. I need to make time more. Even 30 seconds of calm breathing and gentle thoughts can help bring clarity and peace back to me.

"What are we going to do tomorrow?" I asked. "The same thing we do every day, Mom!" Dinoguy replied. "What is that?" I asked. "Try to do good things of course!" He said.
Wise words, Son. Wise words.

3 comments:

Stephanie S. said...

Hi M.
Wanted you to know that I quoted this post, and linked to it.
Oh - and I even photo'd it. :)

I thank you for it.
If you'd like me to change any of it, let me know.
xxoo
Steph

rob said...

Your conversation there at the end of the post reminds me of Pinky and the Brain. Okay but on a more serious note, nice post.

KMDuff said...

Ding ding ding! You win.

That was what was so fun about it. I was actually talking to Fixitman about what the plan was for Saturday and Dinoguy responded that way - they have been watching some Pinky & The Brain together recently. Cracked me up, loved his variation on it, worked well for me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin