Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Contentment

The questions are all similar in nature: If you could go backward or forward in time to any event in your life now, would you? If you could redo something in your life, would you? Do you wish you lived in a different era of the world's history? Do you spend so much time anticipating the future that you fail to enjoy the present? Or too much time dwelling on the past?

Reflection, contemplation, preparation, these are all good things. We need to cherish the past, learn from the past, prepare for the future. But we also need to live in the moment and learn to love our life, just as it is now.

We are in a fun period of transition in our life. Fixitman's job is changing significantly at his company. This brings with it uncertainty and worry and fear. And yet I woke up on Monday and wondered if it would be nice to just skip this stage of life and move on to the "more enjoyable" next stage.

Well, I don't want to skip April, my favorite month for multiple reasons. But beyond that, I realized, I love our life. I love enjoying my family and playing and discovering and learning with them. My kids are fascinating and wonderful. My dog is loyal and loving. My husband is amazing. Even now, when we are facing uncertainty and don't know where we are headed, I can stand up and say: I would rather be here, with my family, facing these challenges together, than anywhere else in time or space. Bring it on.

5 comments:

mariann and Tory said...

Right on! Change is great! You will love it! Think of it as an adventure! Always think positive and you will be just fine!

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

Aaaaw, that's so sweet!
I got goosebumps reading it.

Really all you can do is to take care of the present moment - we can't take care of the future right now, can we? It must be taken care of with its present moments.

It shows that you are a true lover of your life, that you don't want to miss this moment with your loves.

Good for you.
And your babies.
And dh.
xxoo

Stephanie said...

That's a great pic, by the way. I'd have been interested in the "after" shot too, the one with the chocolate on his forehead, chin, and eyebrows.
:)

piscesgrrl said...

That is a lovely sentiment! And it sure helps me to read it today, when i'm feeling a bit whiny about the wind and the cold and the impending storm. Sometimes I get sucked down into the muck and forget I can find my way out. This is just what I needed today.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin