Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Happy Memorial Day!

We had a busy and fun memorial day this year. The boys & I went to the arboretum first for crafts and a children's concert. I got confused on the time it started and so we got there way too early.






Here is Trainboy sitting on a stone. I didn't get the camera out fast enough as he spent a few minutes lying on the face of it carefully reading the letters written on it to himself.


Dinoguy made friends with three grandmotherly women who were also there early and had them teach him a little bit of canasta and then Trainboy joined in and they just had the three ladies wrapped around their finger they loved talking with them so much. The ladies kept telling me how well behaved and polite my boys were as well. Here he is trying to help adjust the umbrella for one lady to help keep her shaded.

Right before the concert began, Dinoguy saw some kids with umbrella hats and wanted one badly. He went down and asked how much they were and came back and told me, "Mom! They are only two dollars! Can I please have my wallet!" So he went and bought himself an umbrella hat, which of course meant Trainboy had to buy one too. He determined it was a much better rocket than hat though.









The concert finally began and we enjoyed it for a while but the boys were tired and it was HOT so we left a bit early and headed home for some rest before going to the pool with Dad. The singer was Sara Hickman, and she brings her daughter to concerts and has her participate - that's who is next to her. There were several cute songs and the boys did like it for a little bit, but if it had started at 11 am like I thought it did (and I'm know that's what the paper published!), they would have enjoyed it more, since 1 pm is much hotter and later in the day and we had been outside playing already for several hours!

Dinoguy is really into swimming and we already spent all of Saturday at the pool - well, I spent a few hours with him and then when I was tired came home and sent Fixitman with him. Trainboy refused to go to the pool on Saturday. On Monday he originally didn't want to go either but changed his mind right before we left and ended up having a blast and being very brave and jumping in and all sorts of swimming escapades.

Fixitman & I were a bit surprised but glad to see he is not as fearful of water as he used to be. The beach later this summer will be another interesting adventure with water since last summer he refused to go near the waves and didn't even want me to go in them and only played in the slues (little ponds on the beach depressions).

I love their new rash guard shirts we got from Lands End - I really feel it will help keep them safer from the sun and icky sunburns this summer. They wear them with no problem. I think they will become even more common here in the USA now as they are in Australia and the rest of the world. Here is Trainboy PUTTING HIS HEAD UNDER RUNNING WATER willingly in the splash park area of the pool. And then he did it again! And was laughing! In the bath that night I ask him to put his head in the water and he did it then too! He is growing so fast I can't believe it.

Well we had a wonderful Memorial day, even though we didn't go to any of the memorials for the soldiers, I did mention it to the kids. I hope you had a wonderful memorial day too. :)

9 comments:

mariann and Tory said...

We love those rash guard tops! They are pretty popular up here...we just keep forgetting to buy them. Looks like the weather is getting really hot and muggy down there! It is starting to warm up a bit here...but it is the dry heat!

Christa, Queen of the Blog said...

You Memorial day looks like way more fun then ours!!

piscesgrrl said...

Wow, what a full weekend! Ours was pretty full too. Great photos!

rob said...

Nice pics. Sounds like you guys had a full day! I was out cleaning my car when a hail storm blew through...ick.

RoniJoy said...

What an awesome day!!!
...now I'm off to goggle "rash guard tops" ....

Rachael said...

Looks like a fun day! I love taking my kids to concerts in the park :)

Sarah, Chris, Elijah & Sadie said...

What a full, fantastic w/e! Great pics.

Lise said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. It hasn't even gotten warm enough for shorts much here. It is O.K. with me. This 70 degree weather is the best I think. See ya, Lise

Chrispy said...

That umbrella hat looks like the coolest thing ever! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin