Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Stock Show


Did I mention I'm a city girl? Born & raised in the suburbs really. I have country aspirations sometimes, but not a clue about many things country. Fixitman was raised in a small town of 900. He grew up doing farm work for his after-school job. We have had many conversations when visiting his parents where he laughs at me for things I find odd. Like burning garbage & diapers, or letting dogs run loose. (Apparently there aren't leash laws in the country?) The fact that roads apparently exist wherever you drive a car, whether or not it is paved or even maintained and visible. That irrigation canals can be used for swimming and games...but I digress.

The boys and I went to the stock show in Ft Worth last week. We saw a bunch of animals and a bunch of people who are real cowboys and such. I felt like a city slicker more so than I have in a long time. Funny movie. :) The kids got to pet a pig, a horse, and other "real" farm animals, I got to see a cowboy riding a horse while text messaging on his phone. I also got to eat a funnel cake. Mmmmm.....funnel cake. We probably spent just as much time playing on the John Deere tractors and new Chevy trucks as we did watching the pole bending races and walking past all the baby animals. My boys love machines I guess. :)

During a warm up period at the pole bending races, one of the riders came over and let the kids pet her horse and listen politely to them tell her all they knew about horses. It was a good time with friends and an entertaining day.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wait - how is it possible that you are now two days (in time) ahead of me?
Your post says Wednesday - dang! I must have gotten kidnapped by aliens again...

Oh yeah - I have a spaceship full of love for you over at OLM if you'd care to pick it up!
xxoo

KMDuff said...

Shhh...I thought the posts wouldn't show up until the day/time I posted for them! Oops! :)

McKay Missy and Boys said...

It sounds like you guys had a good time.

Kristi said...

Looks like fun! Kinda reminds me of the ol' days in the cornfields of Carmel! Okay, maybe not quite!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin