Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The labyrinth


Letterboxing, our newer hobby of printing off clues and going off into the unknown to search for hidden boxes with a stamp inside is taking us to interesting places. One of those places is this labyrinth. For a boy who loves mazes, couldn't be a better place in the world right now. Dinoguy loves mazes. He loves to try to do them, maybe part of that is the awesome books by Roxie Munro.

We keep one of her maze books checked out from the library most of the time. This is since last January really when in the co-op preschool we used to do, I decided randomly to do the topic "mazes" for the letter M and checked them out. The kids were fascinated, especially my kid. And with a few short breaks, we've kept renewing them from the library. We really should buy copies.

So we ran around this labyrinth for a while before going to find the cool stamp hidden nearby. Trainboy loves to search for hidden treasure and use his train stamp, Dinoguy loves to open the box and pull out the stamp and make an image in his notebook. What an awesome exploring hobby. :)

5 comments:

roxie said...

Hi Duff Family!
It was fun to find your blog and read that you love mazes...I do too!

Where do you live in Texas? I was born there (in Mineral Wells, west of Ft Worth) and have written and illustrated several books on Texas (one is called The Inside-Outside Book of Texas - maybe your town is mentioned?). Did you know that there is a cool labyrinth you can walk and follow the path in Albany TX (30 minutes east of Abilene)? It's a wonderful small cool town to visit - they have the Fandangle there every June. The labyrinth is across the street from the Old Jail House Museum, near Courthouse Square. My mom grew up in Albany TX.

I'm so glad you like my maze books. I love creating the and am starting one this spring called EcoMazes. I also have some fun lift-the-flap books finding/counting books (like Rodeo, Ranch, Circus, etc). There are some free mazes you can download and print out on my website (you can solve them and color them in).
http://www.roxiemunro.com/forkidsmazesandmore.html
There are also instructions on how to make two kinds of mazes yourself:
http://www.roxiemunro.com/forkidsmazesandmore/makeageometricmaze.html
and
http://www.roxiemunro.com/forkidsmazesandmore/makearandomroxiemaze.html

Hope all is well where you are and that none of those awful tornadoes that hit the south yesterday were near you guys,

Best regards,
Roxie

Roxie Munro Studio
43-01 21st Street, #340
Long Island City, NY 11101
718.706.0370
rxstudio@aol.com
www.roxiemunro.com

KMDuff said...

Thanks for the awesome comment! Wow!

We will be making a trip to Albany to see that labyrinth when we get a chance - though its a bit far for a day trip - I'll definitely be checking out info on the Fandangle. Dinoguy loves to do mazes. Very excited about new maze books - they are just so wonderfully fun!

We did not get any tornadoes thankfully. Thanks for visiting our blog and the awesome comment. :)

Ashlee Marie said...

I'm with him, I LOVE mazes. I wonder if there are any cool ones near us. I'll have to check out Roxie's website. Just heads up, you've been tagged.

piscesgrrl said...

I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE labyrinths. There are two where my women's group retreats, and we spend a lot of time in them. My dream is to build one in my yard. I have the space, just need the donated materials and woman-power. I'm thinking barn-raising style party - wanna come?

KMDuff said...

Hey Ashlee, you would love Roxie's books, they are awesome. :)

Piscesgrrl - I'm so there for the labyrinth building. It would be awesome. Sounds like a blast!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin