Monday, September 10, 2007

Typing

Which John Holt book is it where he talks about letting kids play with a typewriter and observing their stages of learning? Is it How Children Learn?

L loves to type up lists and tell me about them. I open up a blank word document and he types for pages and pages. Currently he is just randomly pushing buttons on the computer, but he did pick out the letters to his name once.

This is kind of a follow up to the post a few months ago about writing lists for moving. He loves to make lists. I guess I make alot of lists, and recipes involve lists, but after he types, he tells me all about what is on his list. It looks like a bunch of letters pushed randomly and repetitively, but to him it is a list about what to take to Africa for a hunting trip, or what to take with you when you move, or what we need to do to clean the kitchen, etc. It's fun to let him type up his lists.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I believe it IS How Children Learn.

I love this post.
I loved especially "to him it is a list about what to take to Africa for a hunting trip, or what to take with you when you move, or what we need to do to clean the kitchen, etc."
Super great!

Ashlee Marie said...

Isn't it amazing how their minds work! Good for you for stepping back and letting him be him. How wonderful that he shares his mind with you.

Brandon said...

What a great idea! Eliza is always talking about lists. I'll have to let her type some.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin