Well...
My DH is home from India - FINALLY. :) In anticipation & to celebrate, the boys and I made train cake. I saw the pan on someone else's blog and decided I needed an excuse to buy it.
My kids like to bake with me. It is something we have fun together doing. With this new recipe that I wanted to be "perfect", I wasn't as patient with them in mixing up the batter as I could have been - I did let them measure the ingredients, but when it was time to put the batter in the pan, I waved them away so I could do it "right".
Not that I did. I put too much in the first set of 9 and they rose too high and so I had lots of cake to cut off and not enough batter to make a full second set of 9 like the recipe said I would.
While the cakes were cooling, we went to the store to buy candies to decorate the train cakes with. I had several ideas in mind and we bought lots of fun candies. When we got home, I prepared all the candies in bowls and made a marshmallow frosting recipe for the "glue" from my friend's blog about cakes: Create Cakes Trifle
Then the kids joined me and we began decorating the cakes. Luckily I had also read an essay on a friend's blog about control and happiness and other lovely ideas. Happy and Free essay With these wonderful thoughts swirling in my head, I managed to release control and have fun with my kids. I gave ideas, and helped decorate to some extent - I think for a group activity, I should be involved too, not just an observer always. But I didn't get upset when L covered his hands in marshmallow frosting and played with that for a while. Or when H put extra candy wheels on some cars and none on others. I didn't say anything when they put candies in random spots on the train cars or when the decided to cover most of the creation in sprinkles. I decided to enjoy the moments and appreciate the joy of my kids discovering cake decoration and candy play and the joys of the train cake.
It sparked so much imaginative and discovery play for my kids. They had fun playing with the train cake as much as making it. It was a joyful experience, and I think I like the finished product a lot more than my "perfectly" decorated train cake I had in my mind, especially since my kids enjoyed showing it to their dad that much more and telling him all about their favorite parts of making it.
I hope you like some of the pictures from the process. I did not take any pictures of the kids covered in frosting and candy, I wish I had. They were so happy. :)
5 comments:
That looks totally awesome. I am sure your kids think you are the coolest mom. Way to give up the controll. ALWAYS so so hard to do, but I am glad you were able to do it so your kids could have a new experience. I will have to try that. I am certain that my kids would spend the majority of the time eating frosting and candy. Sounds like fun!
Yay! Finally pictures! :)
The absolute greatest thing about letting go of control (I've actually managed to do it a handful of times!) is that the experience itself is so much greater! It's more!
You can have your little perfect cake,and you're proud, and it's great!
But ont he flipside, when you let them help (like when it's not for your sisters wedding, but for dh's homecoming) you can let it go, and be joyful in your decision, and happy for yourself, and proud, and happy for your children, and then proud again when they go on and tell Daddy how great it was.
I just love that!
I feel miserable when I get it "wrong" (controlling) and so genuinely happy and joyful when I get it right!
It is so worth a bit of mess and not having a perfect train.
'sides that, most times things like that don't turn out perfect, anyway... and then we're disappointed all over again.
Yay for train wrecks! :)
Just kidding.
So much fun!!! I love it, I've got to get that pan. That's just the funest thing ever! I LOVE baking and cooking with my kids (when I'm not stressed or in a hurry!) I need to remember to be as patient when I'm NOT doing something I love with them! That is the cutest train, and I bed DH LOVED it!
Gosh, I bet the kids really enjoyed that! you've inspired me and I'm going to get in the kitchen with mine, too!
:( Sad that i missed out on the cake train. This is my first on your blog, it's nice:)
Post a Comment