Sunday, December 02, 2007

Good Day

At the end of a day, how do you decide if it was a good, successful day or not? What makes the difference?

I realized the other night that my perception of a good day has changed. It isn't that I ever made a statement of "This is what makes a good day", but I had been operating one way, and that has been changing.

See, it used to be that the more things I got done on my list of things that needed doing, the more successful, better day it was. I accepted that I wasn't going to be super productive every day, but tried to find a balance to not over do the good things so that more days were good than wasted.

Maybe the better question is how do you know if your day was a waste of time or a success or not?

Because that is what is changing. Spending most of the day pursuing my interests and having fun with my kids and helping them explore their interests is a wonderful way to spend the day. It is extremely good and successful, even if looking back, I can't really give you a laundry list of visible things accomplished.

I think I have let go of the notion that I need to be productive in a way that has a visible outcome every day. That production equals success and a good day.

Now success and a good day is measured by happiness and joy, and how much of it we have experienced that day.

We have so many happy days. I hope you are too. :)

4 comments:

Libby said...

This is what I'm trying to learn in my life right now. It's hard for me to let go of my lists, but I know what really counts is the time I spend with my kids. Good for you for figuring it out

Bookslinger said...

Thanks for the side-bar link! I'm honored.

Mel said...

"Now success and a good day is measured by happiness and joy, and how much of it we have experienced that day."

I couldn't agree more! As time passes, I see a change in everyone, not just me. The girls are getting along better and many times they will choose hanging out with family members over hanging out with friends. I even see Dominic being more willing to go along with more of my suggestions and voicing his suggestions now as well. I love this family we are growing into.

Seems strange that letting go of so many rules can bring peace? One would think the opposite.

Glad you are seeing the fruits of your labors, so to speak!

Stephanie said...

I loved what Mo said about letting go of rules brings peace.
I think it relates to well to what you're saying, and what I'm feeling these days.

It's a terribly slow process for me, ie has taken a long time to find perfection in a day that doesn't include a clean and tidy house :), but I certainly see it happening!
I think for some of us this is a Huge step!
Glad you're happy.
Steph S

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin