Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Learning to write!

Well, we are in the middle of packing up the last of our amazingly large pile of belongings. The boys have been doing well overall with the unusual schedule and all.

L decided to make a list today of things we needed to pack. He ask me how to spell lots of words and wrote them, letter by letter, on his list. It was a cool moment for me, to have confirmed all the things he knows. He knows words have letters, and that he knows how to write those letters! His list was things like: Furniture, Toys, Notebooks. It was awesome.

See the important thing to me is that he is demonstrating what he knows, as opposed to me or someone else testing him on what he doesn't know. Asking him to read words out of a book just doesn't interest him yet. (Or maybe it overwhelms him.) He loves to have me read books to him, and he memorizes his favorites so he can "read" them over and over again. However, point to a word and ask him what it says and he won't answer, or he looks away and says "I don't know." Ask him about letters and he still won't look. He's just not ready for that yet. But he is WRITING!

Just a few months ago, (maybe March or April), he wrote some letters to Santa, (he loves mail) but it wasn't recognizable words, but cute scribbles that kind of resembled Sanskrit or something else. But there were examples of things he knew in that too. The scribbles were small & tight and in groups - like words and he said words as he made the scribbles.

I am SO excited about this. But I am also excited about the fact that I didn't make a big deal about it, and that I am recognizing the things he is learning and showing me in his own way. See - I am making progress too! I didn't even realize that the Santa letters showed any sort of writing skill, but now I can look back and see those things and say WOW!

Happy Father's Day yesterday to my wonderful Dad and my amazing husband. :) The Triple Citrus Cheesecake was delicious! (Visit Cooks Illustrated to find the recipe!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin