| Sep 2009 |
| Aug 2009 |
Handwriting was not going well, he wanted to write but couldn't and times when writing was asked for or wanted, he got quite frustrated. I think it was March when I ventured into a store with homeschooling supplies and bought Handwriting without Tears grade 1 to try out after getting many recommendations on it. It was a big hit and very helpful to his confidence in writing. We have done a page or two three or four times a week since then and are almost thru the book.
We did some story writing games and both boys have written some books, though they usually want to give them as gifts. He can retell a basic story fairly well.
![]() |
| Jul 2010 |
He learned to play chess last August and loves it. He asks anyone to play with him or he will teach you. He is starting to get challenging for me to beat! (not that I consider my skills that good, but he's improving a lot.) He wants to take a chess class at the local rec center and it is on our wish list of things to do.I think this has been an excellent work in logic.
In arithmetic he has naturally figured out how to add two and three digit numbers in his head and has a pretty clear understanding of the base ten system that we operate in. He has been requesting problems and practicing multiplication and has the ones, twos, fives and tens tables down well. Geometrically he knows basic shapes and concepts. He can also read a calendar and clock. He can discuss temperature and seasons and weather and measure and weigh objects.
| Nov 2009 |
He can cook several things on his own (with supervision) and likes to do so. He likes to make eggs, egg in a frame, oatmeal, rice, toast, sandwiches...he can read the recipes pretty well now and I am more of a sous chef to him now.
We have gone to the art museum several times and done collages, painting, drawing, building etc. He draws pictures of battles occasionally.
![]() |
| Nov 2009 |
We have done some basic geography about the continents and oceans and several states of the USA. He can read a map and uses them well. We have read books about ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece and Rome. We have also studied the American frontier some with Little House on the Prairie books. We have learned about Ben Franklin, Beethoven, and Thomas Jefferson as well. We learned about the civil war and visited Vicksburg, a big hit. We also learned some Texas history when we visited Austin.
We started off last year learning Spanish, Arabic and ASL. After a few months, it was a bit much, and the ASL stayed because it was part of a co-op but the others dropped off. It was a good investigation into languages.
He has become an excellent violinist and is halfway thru Suzuki book 1. I am so impressed with his musical ear and how he keeps developing his ability. He has also learned a bunch of basic piano skills at his insistence and can play several simplified versions of classic pieces from memory. He likes Beethoven a lot.
We have done most month's building projects at Home Depot and he is now mostly independent in their construction. He likes the challenge but dislikes the gluing.
| Sep 2009 |
| Sep 2009 |
![]() |
| Jul 2010 |
He got the Handwriting without tears Kindergarten book when his brother got one and he loves to work in it and is always asking to do more. He wants to write and likes practicing.
Arithmetic skills are doing great, he has basic addition and subtraction pretty good, and likes to practice and play with counting objects. He creates lovely mosaics with the pattern blocks (as does Dinoguy) and is doing pretty good at the calendar, time telling, etc. He is fascinated with reading nutrition labels currently and finding out about what g, mg, mL, etc stand for and represent. So we've been learning about that too.
Science wise, he's done the same things as Dinoguy of course, but his favorites are making and investigating paper planes ( he designs his own now) and he liked the bridge building and investigations. He can play legos, kinex and wacky wigglers for hours a day and make fascinating structures. He loves the museum and I think on of my favorite moments was when he saw a machine built to take balls around on a maze course and then lifts them up to do it all over again. He watched it intently for more than five minutes than asked his Grandpa if he would build one like it at home with him. He loves building! He also enjoys plants and animals too.
He also has done well on the violin and learned some basic piano. He loved baseball. Everything else is pretty similar to Dinoguy.
| Aug 2009 |
| Aug 2010 |
Tomorrow I will post about our plans for the coming school year and learning!



2 comments:
I have always considered spelling an unnecessary evil anyway. I am just still working on a logical argument for it.
I LOVE that one of the pics you posted was one I took of them, playing on the playground near our houses :D
THANKS for posting this! I was arguing with myself today about whether homeschooling really is better. Of course it's different for every family, but WOW, look at what you've done!
I love Trainboy's squinty-eyed smile :D I love to read nutrition labels, too; I've been called obsessive, actually....
It is amazing how much more grown-up your kids look after just one year. They were adorable a year ago, and they just keep getting cuter!
Post a Comment