Did you know that Sam Houston sent armed forces to forcibly move the capitol to Houston during the Texas war with Mexico? Angelina Eberle impulsively lit a cannon and blew a hole in a building, rousing Austinites to fight them off and keep the capitol in Austin. If she hadn't it might not be the town it is today.
We had a very quick trip to Austin last week and did a bit of letterboxing as a break from driving all day back and forth. I have come to enjoy letterboxing because it provides history, interesting stories, free collectibles, tourism help and a secret treasure hunt that is enjoyed by my kids.
Munchkin wasn't happy to have to put the letterbox back though. She thought it was her new treasure box.
1 comment:
M - I haven't been to your blog in ages. So sorry.
I do love the story behind the statue. I love history - and that's awesome your kids got to see it all.
Post a Comment