There is a fun free exhibit at a local museum here of a presepe - a Neopolitan Nativity scene from Renaissance Italy. I enjoy seeing different and unique nativities - my own are special to me, and olive wood set and a traditional palestinian dress from the Holy Land, and some small sets from my mom.
My olive wood nativity
So the chance to see giant (about 2 feet tall I'd guess) poseable figurines, over 70 of them brought together in an exhibit? Created over 200 years ago? Seen together rarely, usually displayed individually since no complete sets exist? Put into a display by a family that has been installing the figurines for generations? This was an exciting thing to me and so off we set on an adventure, with a little bit of trepidation, as I hoped that all the driving didn't put me into labor.
(Becoming a nightly news story as the lady who delivered her baby in a traffic jam on the freeway was not my goal!)
3 comments:
Looks like a cool place, I have never been. Glad you weren't on the news ;-)!
Wow that olive nativity is especially beautiful.
Bugger- don't you feel stunted when you can't brandish the camera?
Post a Comment