Monday, March 10, 2014

FHE - Teaching with the Spirit

This week that Little Guy was in charge we were invited to a friend's house for Family Home Evening. They had just recently moved and needed Fixitman's help with the washer/dryer not working. In dividing the responsibilities, I chose the lesson and my friend chose dessert. Free cookies and friends! Awesome!

In planning this lesson I wanted Little Guy to be able to help as much as possible and I wanted it to be kid friendly since there would be 9 kids present (well the 2 babies were probably not going to cause problems...). So I used my good friend, LDS Coloring Pages to find some finger puppets and coloring pages and hoped those would help hold attention.

The talk the lesson was based on was given by David M McConkie from the Sunday School Presidency and called "Teaching with the Power and Authority of God". It was one of the talks I remembered listening to at conference and thinking I should study in more detail. But I hadn't done it yet! So I started by reading it and highlighting things that stuck out to me. Then I thought about the basic structure of the talk and what would work best with a lot of young kids.

He uses the story of the sons of Mosiah from the Book of Mormon as an example of teachers who taught with God's power and authority. He also discussed that the power and authority of God was really all about teaching by the spirit.

"Our first and foremost responsibility is to live so that we can have the Holy Ghost as our guide and companion. "

So I opened the lesson with a few questions to the group. Little Guy held them up on a sign and asked people to read them. "How can I best teach my family about the gospel?" "How can I prepare a lesson or talk for church?" "What can I do to be better able to share the gospel?"

Then I let Little Guy choose a Sons of Mosiah finger puppet from the ones I had prepared and pass out the others to all the kids. The kids liked these and I talked about how the sons of Mosiah had been good teachers of the gospel and shared this scripture:

"They were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God. “But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had … the spirit of revelation." (Alma 17:2-3)

While the kids enjoyed the finger puppets, I had Little Guy hand out a few more quotes for people to read about how we could become like the sons of Mosiah.

The most important part of your service will be your own daily spiritual preparation, including prayer, scripture study, and obedience to the commandments. We encourage you to dedicate yourself to living the gospel with greater purpose than ever before. (First Presidency, 2012 in Teaching the Gospel in the Savior's Way.)

"I always know when I am speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost because I always learn something from what I’ve said." (Marion G Romney)

"In order to successfully teach the gospel, you must have both the word and the power of the gospel in your life."

"For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake." (Paul, in 1 Thessalonians 1:5)

I also had a coloring page of a girl reading scriptures at the end since we were emphasizing that to teach with the Spirit, you must prepare yourself spiritually by reading your own scriptures. I had Little Guy pass this out for the kids to color as we ended the lesson with my testimony. Then after a closing prayer we had pumpkin chocolate chip cookies that my friend had made! Delicious!

And Fixitman was able to help them get their washer/dryer working again. Hurray!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin