Wednesday, November 06, 2013

FHE Lesson - Look Ahead and Believe

I had such a good time writing and reflecting on our first General Conference themed Family Home Evening lesson (FHE) as a guest blogger at We Talk of Christ, We Rejoice in Christ. As a result, I have decided to share our Family Home Evening (FHE) lessons for the next while on my own blog. It has been such a positive experience the past few weeks in our home that I am excited to share them.

So for the next while, we are using the messages given at October 2013 General Conference as the basis for our Family Home Evening lessons. Normally I'll just post about FHE once a week but since a few lessons have passed since we started doing this and I want to catch up, I will be posting several in a row this week.

After I gave my lesson about President Packer, it was Dinoguy's turn to be in charge of the lesson. Thankfully I was reminded about FHE and our plan on Sunday so I asked him which talk he wanted to do, and he chose Elder Edward Dube's talk "Look Ahead and Believe". He said it was because he remembered the story from the beginning of the talk and had gotten that question right in our General Conference Jeopardy game. I printed off a copy of the talk for him and gave it to him with a highlighter on Sunday night, telling him to study it and we'd talk about his lesson in the morning.

The next day when we were able to talk about his lesson, he said he already had a lesson plan ready to go. He had highlighted the parts he wanted to talk about and the talking points he wanted to make. Kind of awesome. I listened and made a few suggestions, but he seemed to have it pretty good. Here are some of the quotes he talked about, from his notes:
  • "While I was a boy working in the fields with my mother, she taught me one of the most important lessons in life. It was late in the morning, the sun was up, and we had been hoeing for what I thought to be a very long time. I stopped to look back at what we had accomplished and said to my mother, "Look at all we have done!" Mother did not respond. Thinking that she had not heard me, I repeated what I had said a little louder. She still did not reply. Raising my voice a little higher, I repeated again. Finally, she turned to me and said, "Edward, never look back. Look ahead at what we still have to do." "
  • "In the service of the Lord, it is not where you serve buy how" (J. Reuben Clark)
  •  We should all be "anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of [our] own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness" (D&C 58:27).
  • "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)
  • Story about small, nondescript oxen pulling a sledge with cement blocks doing better as a team, told in his own words, emphasizing teamwork in our family leading to more getting done.
 I told him we'd love to have some sort of visual thing to share as well for the younger kids, like a coloring project or picture and so we tried to brainstorm something.

One of the themes he had picked out of studying the talk was teamwork and how you can do more when you work together than as individuals. So I suggested we do some team exercises, like lifting a heavy person between two people. This took some practice since no one in our family is the same height and the four handed seat team lift (page 4) is ideal for two people the same height. But it was a hit with the other kids. They loved being picked up. Hopefully it helped get the point across about being able to do more when we work together.

I tried writing the quote on the kids' bathroom mirror this week for them to see. The yells of "who wrote on the bathroom mirror?!" were pretty funny. I had to explain that I had so they could see the quote all week. But after the first shower it had started to melt away. So perhaps not the best idea.

"In the sight of the Lord, it is not so much what we have done or where we have been but much more where we are willing to go."

I ended up writing it on a paper and adding it to the wall in the kitchen the next week. The lesson went pretty well overall and mostly I just felt proud of my awesome son for doing such a great job.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin