Friday, November 25, 2011

Ch ch ch ch ch changes

I have put off posting this because I just don't know where to start. So here it is:

My boys started attending public school October 3rd.
Dinoguy went to 3rd grade and Trainboy went to 1st grade.

It is a decision made completely with the guidance of the spirit. I did not choose this. But I know it was the right choice for right now. They started the day after general conference because I felt like I had my very clear answer several times during conference that it was what I needed to do.

Fixitman gave them each father's blessings the night before. Then that morning I went in and filled out all twenty thousand pieces of paper and provided all the documentation necessary to enroll them. I walked them to their classrooms, met their teachers, and watched them disappear eagerly into their new classes. They were excited to find out what public school was like.

Dinoguy has been pretty happy. He has lots of friends, and plays sports during recess each day. He is reading lots of fun books and his teacher lets him sit on a giant exercise ball as long as he doesn't bounce on it. He loves school and is pretty happy.

Trainboy liked it for the first few days and then asked to be homeschooled again. He wasn't too happy about it. But since going to school was part of a series of decisions, I couldn't bring him home as much as I wanted to do so. We have had some talks and worked thru some of the troubles he was having. He is shy on his own and wasn't talking much to other kids. He was waiting for others to talk to him and so we've had several talks about being a friend and asking others to play with us. He has a few friends he plays with now and talks to at lunch. But he would still prefer to be homeschooled and will tell you so. He is not learning anything new, he had mastered all that they teach in 1st grade last year. So he colors pictures and reads books and makes the best of it.

It took me a few weeks to not feel like there was a gaping hole in my body during the day when they were gone. I miss them during the day.

And that's part 1. Stay tuned for more...


1 comment:

Trish said...

Oh boy! I imagine that was a very tough decision for you to make.
I hope that the boys find some joy in the new experience at least.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin