Monday, August 30, 2010

Garden experiments

I have come to learn that gardening in Texas is not as easy as I thought it would be. But I keep trying and learning. :)

One fun book we got this summer was called Crinkleroots Nature Almanac. Dinoguy was reading it one day and really wanted to make a beaver dam in our yard. Since this would require a good deal of excavation first to create water flow, I wasn't quite up to it. I suggested some alternatives in tubs and buckets but he had big scale plans. Luckily, a suggestion that it wait for a trip to a park with a creek (there are several we visit) was a success. But he decided we should grow some popcorn in the meantime.

Yes, it's August and we just planted corn. :D

It was a fun way to start it - you just put the kernel on top of the dirt, water and cover with plastic wrap and a rubber band. This way you can see the roots come out and go down and the entire sprout come up. As it gets taller you remove the plastic and eventually try to transplant it. I had read corn didn't like to be transplanted, but they did alright and seem to still be alive and growing.
All four kernels eventually made baby plants and I only killed one in the transplant. They are in the garden now and growing. Maybe the Texas weather will work to our advantage and we'll get a decent corn plant before the frost. I somewhat doubt it, but hey, you never know!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin