Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Carlsbad Caverns

Carlsbad is really breathtaking. It is also overwhelming. We did the main loop walk, which is 1.25 miles after you ride an elevator 750 feet underground. The 1 mile walk down the natural entrance sounded fun, but wasn't a possibility with Fixitman's knee and after doing the main loop I'm glad we didn't attempt both. Just the 1.25 mile loop took about 2 hours. It has steep and twisty sections and strollers aren't allowed, so we were lucky to have the boys old enough to walk themselves and Munchkin small enough to easily wear for that long.We first watched a video about National Parks with caves while waiting for them to open and I learned a new word for scrabble - Vug. Then we went down the elevator and started on our self-tour. The guided tours don't allow children younger than 4 or 6 depending on the tour and we decided not to get the audio self tour, so it was just us on our own.The hardest part of the cave visit was keeping our voices to a whisper because things were exciting and cool to see. Munchkin didn't really like the dim lighting and so we had to hold her near lights to keep her happy. I think she thought we were trying to put her to sleep. She did fall asleep after about 45 minutes, which was nice.Dinoguy loved everything and learned the terminology quickly and started using it. Every formation was declared "the best ever". Trainboy enjoyed it at first but was ready to be done by the time we were halfway over. I heard him saying to himself "I've gotta get out of this cave" but he didn't bring it up again since we let him use the camera to take some pictures. Dinoguy would have gone thru again I think. He really wanted to stay until dark to see the bats fly out of the natural entrance.Our camera is not great at low light photos, even on the low light setting. The expanse of the underground rooms can't be captured by it unfortunately, though I tried. It was interesting to notice that it did capture some droplets falling from stalactites in some photos. It was irritating to discover I held my map in a visible spot on some photos. Doh! Anyway, we had an awesome time touring Carlsbad, though we were sore the next day!

2 comments:

mariann and Tory said...

Shaweet! That is on my places to go and visit!! Looks like a ton of fun! Did you guys get to see the bats too?

Screwed Up Texan said...

Thought I'd answer your question here...

"Good question KMDuff. I must answer that so far both the coriander I've planted from Walmart and the Dollar Store germinate. Now the other stores, I can't attest. But Walmart and the Dollar Store YES. At least for me."

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin