Monday, January 26, 2009

Growing Pineapples!

We are fascinated with seeds and all things that grow. We've sprouted or attempted beans, apples, avocados, sweet potatoes, mangoes and now pineapples! The boys are always asking about the seeds of foods and saying we should plant it. Especially with new or unusual ones. We had a great sale on pineapple at the store in November and bought a few. The questions about pineapple seeds came and led to the discovery of this informative website. We prepped our pineapple tops and set them to dry. Then I forgot about them for about a week and one was moldy and icky on the inside so I threw it out but put the other three into mason jars to hopefully sprout the roots. I wasn't super hopeful since I'd let them dry for too long but figured it didn't hurt to try. I was also trying to sprout a mango seed so there was water changing daily for a while. First they grew some white stuff on the bases that I worried was a fungus of some sort but decided to wait a bit before quitting. Then the first root appeared! They were alive! (The mango seed went mildewy from lack of water changes after Munchkin was born, while the pineapples survived and continued to grow roots.) Now I was procrastinating getting cactus soil to plant them. Partially because I tend to kill things once they are in pots and I forget about them. At least that's what happened to the sweet potato vine, the apple seedlings and several other experiments.

But this past week I stopped at the store after a doctor's appointment and got the dirt. Now to clean some pots. I ask Dinoguy to help and he cheerfully joined in for the wet and messy part. He was excited about planting the pineapples and playing with water? Sure! It was a balmy high 70's day as well, and he had fun with it, soon creating mud and building mud castles. When he was ready, he collected small rocks from the driveway for the bottom of the pots and then helped put the dirt in and then the pineapple tops! He happily soaked them and when they were drained, they came inside to live next to the sink for the next few months where hopefully they will grow good roots. Here are two on one side of the sink, which is the sunniest spot I have for them.I am especially inspired by this guy, who has successfully grown fruit on his plants in England! If he can successfully grow a fruit there, I figure we can too here in Texas! If they die, we'll try again. I'll happily figure out where to put them if they live and grow until they are 3 feet tall and wide! (See previous links for examples.)

4 comments:

Christa, Queen of the Blog said...

What a cool project! It makes me want to go get a bunch of fruit and start sprouting them lol! I'm going to check out what all is involved first...

Pam said...

So very cool! Super project. Owen also thinks it's very cool and we should try and grow some here. Then I remind him that the city workers are, at this moment, down the street with a jackhammer trying to break up the ice!
High 70's?! - sweet!

mariann and Tory said...

That is really cool, I will have to try it!

David said...

You can actually skip the water rooting part for the pineapples, I just trim them, stick them in a pot with some potting soil and soak them down. Then I water them every couple of days. Never lost one yet. Takes about 2 years to get a pineapple, but they are awesome! The whole house will smell like pineapple. I was making a Squidoo lens on growing pineapples and it pulled in the RSS of your blog. Feel free to check it out.

http://www.squidoo.com/lensmaster/new_workshop/growing-pineapples-in-your-backyard

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin