Monday, December 22, 2008

Art museum fun

Palestinian dress nativity

There is a fun free exhibit at a local museum here of a presepe - a Neopolitan Nativity scene from Renaissance Italy. I enjoy seeing different and unique nativities - my own are special to me, and olive wood set and a traditional palestinian dress from the Holy Land, and some small sets from my mom.My olive wood nativity

So the chance to see giant (about 2 feet tall I'd guess) poseable figurines, over 70 of them brought together in an exhibit? Created over 200 years ago? Seen together rarely, usually displayed individually since no complete sets exist? Put into a display by a family that has been installing the figurines for generations? This was an exciting thing to me and so off we set on an adventure, with a little bit of trepidation, as I hoped that all the driving didn't put me into labor.

(Becoming a nightly news story as the lady who delivered her baby in a traffic jam on the freeway was not my goal!)I took the camera and was nicely told that no pictures were allowed in the room where the presepe was displayed. But I could purchase the book of photos! Oh well. Click the link to see sample photos from a news story. It was awesome to see, and we got to visit and check out a museum we hadn't visited before! The boys seem to appreciate the sculptures we saw more than paintings. We had a nice time looking at the art and talking about where it came from. Then we ran thru the garden on our way out. Good times.

3 comments:

Christa, Queen of the Blog said...

Looks like a cool place, I have never been. Glad you weren't on the news ;-)!

Chrispy said...

Wow that olive nativity is especially beautiful.

Sarah said...

Bugger- don't you feel stunted when you can't brandish the camera?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin